A Blog by International Students at Leiden University
Just finished my second year (studying International Studies on campus The Hague)! Next semester is our discretionary space, where we can choose to either study abroad, do a minor or do an internship. I chose to do both a minor and an internship and gave up my summer holiday.
I have started my internship on June 1st at United Network Of Young Peacebuilders (UNOY). It is an organization with a network of 60 youth organizations in 45 countries, united around the vision of a world free from violence in which young people play an active role in contributing to peace. Check their website for more info!
So far, it has been great working with them. My role is to manage the network and to organize the Young Peacebuilders Forum, which will take place in The Hague in November. As you can imagine, my work includes a lot of communication and I am actually very active on social media, mainly to keep our members informed about what we do.
Last week, we had the great opportunity to attend a Twitter training in Amsterdam and to learn more about Twitter strategies an organization should adopt. We also talked about countering violent speech.
Thus, I thought it would be great to share with you some of the latest Twitter strategies, tactics, tools, and best practices you could use as an individual user. This could also help young entrepreneurs who are still studying or just finished their study.
10 TIPS to TWEET
1. Determine your strategy: listen first, tweet later
– Build a dynamic network to learn more about effective tweet mechanics
2. Remember: Credibility is key
4. Tweet with Photos and Videos
– Tweets with images drive more engagement and generate more responses
– In the case of tweeting a petition: link only –> photos can be distracting
5. Connect your tweets with offline action and motivation
– Especially important for campaigns
6. Identify negative tweets and respond positively –> counter speech
7. Use Twitter as press release
– Include link to Website
8. The hashtag is crucial to keep track on thematic conversations; however use no more than 7 hashtags in the same tweet!
9. Jump in on other hashtags
– Link your hashtags to other hashtags to expand into other relevant debates
10. Lastly, use the free Twitter tools to monitor your activity
– Twitter Analytics: The way to measure your impact on Twitter
– Tweet deck: The most powerful Twitter tool for real-time tracking, organizing and engagement
People who Tweet consistently throughout the month get higher engagement over accounts with intermittent posting.
Try posting a photo, people like photos.
Stay short and sweet,
Keep it consistent, keep it classy!