Last Minute Tips for Online Education
In these unusual times, we need to take unusual preparations. This year, university is going to be a little bit different, but that’s okay. We still can make the best of it. In this post, I will give you some very last minute tips about how to make your first semester online amazing:
- Make a schedule: even though you don’t have to be anywhere, it’s still good to note down your timetable. It would be embarrassing to not show up to class when it’s online 🙂
- Have your books ready: don’t wait until the third week to get your books, whether physical books or PDFs. Make sure it’s all prepared before class actually starts. Trust me, it’s much less stress. (Tip: look at Facebook groups and students from the year above who are selling their books, it’s much cheaper)
- Glance at the syllabus: most professors already have a syllabus ready before actually starting the course. This is a good opportunity for you to flip through, maybe take notes on important dates or information. This way, there won’t be any surprises. Some course even asks you to do an assignment for the first meeting (though this is quite rare)
- 21st century technology: I’m personally lucky to have good internet connection and a working laptop. Unfortunately, in these remote times, you need to make sure that you have the right gadgets that allows you to join and participate in a course, as well as have an assignment ready. Check before your first day, if you have everything in working. Tied to this, your workspace at home can get quite messy. Keep everything organised to be more productive.
This is my little productive space
- Have a positive mindset: I know that this could be the hardest one yet. Nothing seems normal, we won’t be able to see our friends, professors, tutors. We will miss out on a lot of social events, but that doesn’t mean we can’t have a great first semester. Remember that this is only temporary and life will get back to normal. Have a positive mindset by looking at the good, surround yourself (online) with the people you love, and be grateful for whatever you already have.
I hope these last minute seemingly little tips can help you prepare for your academic year, but can also get you through the first semester in a positive way. Good luck to everyone! See you soon! 😀